Quantcast

Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

GrahamSG GrahamSG

Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Hi Evan & anyone else out there that can help me out.

I'm looking for a rather simple tutorial on how to fill an object or multiple objects within a fumefx container with smoke. The smoke can't go outside of the object and if u set to non renderable within max it should look like the object yet only made out of smoke.

I'm new to fumefx and only just found this website. I'll definately buy your DVD from when it becomes available, looking forward to more of these primers.

Regards

Graham
:.evan.: :.evan.:

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Hey Graham,

Look for that as one of the training series videos in the courseware of the site.
GrahamSG GrahamSG

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Hey Evan,

I worked it out i just add the object in the object sources box on the FumeFx properties and it's set to shell. I didn't have to do any tweaking just left it as is. Although my simulation took a few hours.

I saw your basic course already and my FumeFx box is more like a flattened box so it's the same length and width but the height is about four times smaller. So my quality came to something like 80x500x400, now I've got multiple objects i want to fill with multiple sources, i'm thinking to forego some of the quality for the moment, get the simulation right and render out a working piece then redo a sim with better resolution.

:.evan.: :.evan.:

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Hey Graham,

Wonderful. I am likely still going to do the tutorial however as I want to cover some not so obvious uses for Fume, rather than just explosions and fire. I will be doing a session on photoreal fire, but that will be likely later on.

Do you have any screen shots or a render?
GrahamSG GrahamSG

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Hello Again, Here is a still render, basically I filled some extruded text with smoke however there is a volume calculation I need to consider... In the image here the 'M' in the word smoke is filled with particles but only fills up the middle leg of the 'M' and doesn't fill up the whole thing. Is there anyway to 'even' out the smoke? Also the animation of the smoke if I wanted it to be rather slow moving and wispy is controlled via velocity? One final thing would be if the 'M' was to rotate would the particles move based on the objects movement? Hopefully you can cover these things in a tutorial.... I'm really glad I found this site it's extremely useful. Let's make some really nice stuff! At the moment I'm making a 10 sec spot for my freelance production company using FumeFX to do it. So it's fun and I'm learning alot! Cheers
:.evan.: :.evan.:

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

I will cover that soon. You will be surprised at the solution.
GrahamSG GrahamSG

Re: Tutorial: Fumefx - Fill Object with Smoke

Oh cool, looking forward to it... my work around for the volume was to use the back of the object, clone it and then move it inside the object I wanted to fill. then match the animation of the object, this seems to have worked however a few of them didn't. I thought it could possibly be that my animation of the object that is the source for the particles didn't match correctly and was technically 'not inside' the object as they are the same size as I didn't scale down.

Anyways I'm still working on it, oh and another thing... it renders the fire but not the smoke?.. which was kinda weird because i saved my work reset the scene then set up another scene to make sure my setup was correct and that was ok...??? As I write this I'm thinking I better check my omni light... could be the unit of measurement for my light. :P